New Compliant Surface

Little do you guys know, I have this whole compliant surface thing down to a science (not like
Tinkerman doesn't already). My old compliant surface was a little too thin, and had a few dust specs that I couldn't keep my eye off of. So, What you need to do first, is find a dust free, flat, area. I chose my garage and put a fan over the top of my work surface to 1) have it dry faster and 2) keep the dust off. Though, I didn't want the fan to kick up any dust, so I put it on it's lowest setting.


So for this time around I wanted to have 5 layers, and since each surface I use gets ruined after every layer, I decided to put each mixture in old beer bottles. I filled each one with the same type of caulk used in my last 'tutorial'. I plan to throw away each beer bottle after each use and each sponge roller.



When putting the caulk in, be sure it doesn't touch the sides of the beer bottle and makes it into the xylol. If it touches the sides, you'll have a hard time getting it off.



Repeat these next few steps as many times as you want, I did it 5 times. First, you pour one beer bottle worth of silicone onto the vellum, evenly.


Then I spent about 15 minutes rolling it around the entire surface, and making sure no dust got on.


After 5 times of doing it, I got a result that looked something like this:



I should mention, I used a special type of paper that I got at Ball Aerospace. Its water proof, so I can wash it down with a rag whenever it gets dirty. It's called 'Erasable Double Matte Vellum'. Its specification number is 'JR440IJME' and it's made by Intelicoat Technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment